Saturday, March 10, 2012

1900-1918 Wedding Dress

This is a 1900-1918 wedding gown that I own. It was gifted to me by a friend many years ago & I've finally gotten around to photographing it.















The family story was that Grandma Bernice "Burnie" was married in this dress, in Australia - I believe just outside of Perth. 1908 is sticking in my head, but I just don't remember. She was a rancher and a rancher's wife, of small stature & slight figure, very wiry & tough. She lived to a ripe old age, had 7 children, and her wedding gown made it to America with one of her daughters, who's daughter then gave it to me because "you'll like it, it's just trash to me."
It's true that one woman's trash is another woman's treasure.















The dress is in near perfect condition. It is all machine sewn, and is made of early machine lace, netting & lightweight linen. It has some age stains on the front & is missing 3 snaps on the center back for the belt.
It fastens down the right side front with snaps & the belt wraps to the left with snaps.
The waist measures 22" when closed.
(pictured over one of my stock chemises)






It is not a rich woman's gown by any means, but is a lovely example of a working woman's wedding dress.























Now that I've shared it with you, I'm putting it back in it's box.

No comments: